Effects of Abortion and Post-Abortion Syndromes
Abortion is the forceful removal of an embryo from the womb before its full growth or ability to survive outside the womb. Effects of abortion are usually not disclosed to you by abortion clinics. So find all you need to know here before making a decision.
An estimated (by WHO) 44 million abortions occurs every year. The higher percentage of most of these abortions are unsafe. Also, most of these unsafe termination of pregnancy may cause the immediate death of a person or even lead to other life threatening consequences. We all through various means know some of the basic effects of Abortions.
Some of the Effects of Abortion
- physical exhaustion
- intense pain
- cervical rapture or damage
- infected uterus (perforated womb)
- abdominal damage
- migraine( severe headache)
- inflammatory pelvic disorders
It may interest you to know that the above mentioned effects of abortion is only a percentage. There are other long lasting and hurtful effects known as the Post-Abortion syndrome (PAS).
Post-Abortion syndrome (PAS)
When a woman undergoes termination of pregnancy, there are several changes that take place within and outside the body. Most often, the time, stress, emotional pain and general trauma faced by women not recorded at abortion clinics.
Again, the interest for abortion clinics is to get it done irrespective of what a patient may be going through. Sudden shock, as well as the feeling of guilt and remorse can build up in the mind of a woman. This leads to emotions getting drawn back and suppressed just to avoid public scrutiny. Post-abortion syndromes exist in several forms as mentioned or categorized above earlier. Let’s take a look at some serious Post-Abortion Syndromes which poses a threat to most women.
Post-Abortion syndrome (PAS) Includes:
- Experiencing eating disorders which could lead to excessive weight loss in the long run.
- Difficulty in sex due to cervical pain, frigidity or tightening of the female reproductive organ.
- Unable to have normal and good sound sleep. Associated disorders like nightmares emerge as a result of the trauma faced. Going through that whole process of murdering a baby may lead to the hampering of effective sleep.
- Severe violence or aggression towards others and against themselves. The effect of guilt as women tend to feel they or others are to blame for the loss of the unborn baby. Violent attacks when patients get to reminded of anything that had got to do with the termination of pregnancy.
- Experiencing emotional numbness and coldness towards anything that one may come into contact with. This may lead to patients getting drawn back in normal life routines. A woman may even end up getting admitted into psychiatric homes.
- Trouble with relationships: Especially in with the sexual intimacy part with a partner. A woman may feel unexcited to engage in any real physical connection with their partners. She may deny their lovers of having any such privileges. If the other partner is not understanding, it could lead to an eventual breakup. This could transgress into later forms of severe depression. Depression could lead patients into seeking solace in drugs and alcohol abuse.
- Immense trauma associated with the performance of the act of aborting a baby. There’s the usual guilty sense of murder and this thought keeps getting to them. It leaves the abortion patient filled with utter fear, anxiety, frustration and emotional torture. Women who perform abortion are never left alone even after several years have elapsed. The conscience of terminating a pregnancy gets women tortured and filled up with intense trauma.
Conclusion of the Effects of Abortion
In conclusion, the decision to end the life of an unborn baby can go against a woman’s deepest maternal instincts. An expected harsh effect of the act is likely to take its toll on the woman. Terminating a baby, not old enough to survive on the outside of the womb places the lives of mothers at a high risk.
Babies as we usually hear people say are a blessing. We do not have that power in controlling their existence or deciding when to keep them here on earth. If one is not prepared and psyched up to have babies, the most usual thing to do will be to refrain.
You have the choice of avoiding the whole process of undergoing abortion. However, pregnancy is beautiful in every sense of the word, so why throw that away and end up risking your life? Beats my imagination! Again, taking the life of an unborn baby could be as evil as murdering someone in cold blood. No matter how you look at it, it’s an act which does not promise an everlasting end to ones woes. Rather, reinvigorates and further deteriorates one’s problems.
Also See: Unplanned Pregnancy What Went Wrong?
Effects of Abortion – Written by: Chantelle Iris Nunoo and edited by Kojo Appiah
PS: The views expressed by the author on termination of pregnancy does not represent the views of this website.