Erectile dysfunction (impotence) which stems from the Latin word impotentia coeundi is a sexual malfunction evidenced by the inability of one to maintain an erection of the penis during sexual activities. In simple terms, the inability to insert the penis into the vagina. An erection is brought about as a result of the effect of blood entering and retaining itself in spongy tissue-like bodies lying within the penis. But this is usually made possible as a result of sexual arousal; the point where signals get to be transmitted in the penis through the nerves from the brain. This dysfunction is very common and constitutes a major ailment affecting majority of men out there. Its most important organic cause’s ranges from: neurological issues, cardiovascular diseases, hormonal imbalances, side effects of drugs and diabetic conditions.
Erectile dysfunction, most often than not also poses itself in the psychological way mostly known as psychological impotence. Now, with this type of erectile dysfunction, penetration fails due to certain thoughts or feelings other than physical reasons or circumstances stated above. Erectile dysfunction in general terms can have very damaging consequences in the lives of those it affects including relationships with others and general masculine self- image tarnished overnight. Some symptoms of erectile dysfunction might be noticeable in most cases but unknown to so many in such instances. But however these symptoms appear, they can be analyzed in a number of ways. These include: one’s ability or inability to maintain or possess full erection at times such as nights when asleep and the response of one’s penis when aroused during sexual intimacy stages or foreplay as commonly known. Among its known causes includes:
- Kidney failure.
- Lifestyle i.e.; smoking which narrows the arteries.
- Ailments / diseases such as sclerosis, and or Diabetes mellitus.
- Neurogenic disorders.
- Performance anxiety, stress and mental disorders.
- Diabetes mellitus and multiple sclerosis.
ED TREATMENT OPTIONS
Treating erectile dysfunction mostly is dependent on the cause of the dysfunction in the first place. Some case might need normal and regular treatments to remedy the situation, but not in all instances does this work. Regular exercise in the form of aerobics is effective in the prevention of erectile dysfunction in men, but as to whether it poses as a possible treatment medium is yet to be verified and confirmed by medical practitioners. Most common first-line treatments include oral pharmacotherapy and vacuum erection therapy methods. This is usually implemented with the insertion or injection of drugs into the penis and spongy nerve tissues of the penis. Other associated treatment options drawn from the above mentioned first-line treatments include:
- Use of penis Pumps.
- Injected medication.
- Topical medication.
Also, one can adopt a healthy lifestyle in choosing the right diet when it comes to nutrition and balancing it with the body composition in general as well as practicing other healthy activities that aid your body in regaining its strength back. Let’s take a look at some pointers below that will show just how to go about this.
- You need to exercise the body on regular bases! According to most health practitioners, about 30- 45 minutes of regular exercise a day reduces ones risks of getting erectile dysfunctions and a more effective chance in helping fight it if one already has it. Other research suggests that moderate and adequate exercise can help restore/replenish sexual performance in obese and middle-aged men with erectile dysfunction.
- You need to eat right! Consumption of diet rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains and fish, accompanied with little red or processed meat is likely to reduce erectile dysfunction. A deficiency in vitamin B12 is most probable to cause and increase ones risk of getting erectile dysfunction. Daily multivitamin and fortified foods are the best secrets for those who absorb B12 poorly, including many older adults.
- You need to pay closer attention to your vascular system. High blood pressure, high blood sugar, high cholesterol level, can all damage arteries in the heart (causing heart attack), in the brain which causes stroke, leading to the penis causing erectile dysfunction. Low levels of HDL (good) cholesterol and an expanding waistline also contribute to one getting an erectile dysfunction. Checks should be conducted to enable one remain safe and find out whether the vascular system is really in good shape, as well as its other associative properties, i.e.: the heart, brain, and penis. Proper medication should be sought if any irregularities appear noticeable.
- Your weight and size matters! Yes it does, and you have to ensure that you get to keep a well balanced body size or shape that trims your waistline acting as a good defense in fighting and getting rid of erectile dysfunction. Attaining a healthy weight and staying there is another good technique for fixing erectile dysfunction. Excess body weight or obesity increases ones risks of getting vascular diseases and diabetes, which form two of the major causes of erectile dysfunctions. Getting to burn down the excess fat aids one in maintaining the appropriate body balance to fight this dysfunction.
Written By: Chantelle Iris Nunoo