Paying for College
Education they say is the key to success, and as such in aiming towards the reaching this level of greatness, cannot be said to be an entirely smooth one. Education in giving many people out there that sense of achievement has reached an increasingly unattainable rate of which when not financially fit one might not be able to obtain. Thus, we can say that, education and its access as a whole to many out there is made impossible owing to its gradual increase in financial standings. But this notwithstanding, certain mechanisms are put in place by some entities, be it private or local, to assist or enable the less privileged gain that much equal access to quality and better education with or without financial stability.
There are certain institutions out there who do much to aid students in acquiring the education they wish in having prior to their not being financially sound. We most often hear of universities or colleges offering scholarships to students who do not usually meet the financial qualifications eligible enough to pay their fees. Some offer these on diverse terms and bases ranging from giving full covered scholarships to half covered scholarships, all in a bid to assist in making the dreams of most students’ come into fruition. There are so many opportunities available for people who wish to access various universities but face little hitches here and there. Are you looking forward to getting means of supporting your education financially? Below are lists of few selected scholarships, Government grants and other financial support mediums you might want to have a look at.
- INTERNATIONAL SCHOLARSHIPS (university under-graduate level):
- Bristol University International Scholarships:
The University of Bristol is offering ten International Office Scholarships for new international students who wish to pursue an undergraduate or postgraduate degree at the University. The scholarships are worth £8,500 which can go towards your tuition fee.
- University of West London International Ambassador Scholarships:
The International Ambassador Scholarship recognizes and provides financial support for outstanding students who wish to pursue a full time undergraduate or postgraduate degree at University of West London. The scholars will act as international ambassadors for the University of West London. Up to 100 scholarships are worth up to £5,000 ($7,500 USD) which can go toward tuition fees.
- MASTERS DEGREE SCHOLARSHIPS
- Chevening Scholarships: Chevening Scholarships are the UK government’s global scholarship programme which offers awards to outstanding scholars with leadership potential from around the world to study postgraduate courses at universities in the UK. The programme provides full or part funding for full-time courses at postgraduate level, normally a one-year Master’s degree, in any subject and at any UK university. Most Chevening Scholarships cover: tuition fees; a living allowance at a set rate (for one individual); an economy class return airfare to the UK; additional grants to cover essential expenditure. Some Scholarships cover part of the cost of studying in the UK; for example, tuition fees only or allowances only.
- Commonwealth Scholarships:
The Commonwealth Scholarships are intended for students from developing Commonwealth countries who wants to pursue Master’s and PhD study in the UK. These scholarships are funded by the UK Department for International Development (DFID). Each Scholarship provides airfare to and from United Kingdom, tuition and examination fees, personal maintaining allowance, thesis grant (if applicable), initial arrival allowance, among others.
- Gates Cambridge Scholarships:
Gates Cambridge Scholarships are full-cost awards for graduate study and research in any subject available at the University of Cambridge. The scholarships are open to all international students from all over the world. A Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge namely: university fees, maintenance allowances, airfare, and some dependant’s allowance. About 100 new Gates Scholars are awarded annually.
The Students Financial Aid Office (SFAO) is accepting applications for the award of Scholarships. The scholarships are designed for high achievers (Gifted Student) who are from areas of need. The Scholarship will cover tuition, books, all fees, as well as room and board, and will be awarded for four years as long as excellent academic standards continue to be met.
- TEST FOR GHANA (The tertiary Education Scholarship Trust):TEST for GHANA provides both full and partial scholarships for undergraduate study in a wide spectrum of academic and practical subjects which in the opinion of the local Trustees are best oriented towards the social and economic development needs of their countries and their communities. Awards are biased towards females (60:40) from the poorest regions of the countries, for University education (60:40) where appropriate, and are also available to handicapped students. Link: http://testforghana.com/TFG/index.htm
- MILITARY SCHOLARSHIPS:
- Military Commanders’ Scholarship Fund:
The New York Chapter of the American Logistics Association sponsors up to 15 $5,000 scholarships for dependent children of active duty, reserve, National Guard or retired members of the United States military who hold valid Exchange & Commissary shopping privileges at the time of application. Applicants must be high school seniors or graduates who plan to enroll for the first time in a full-time undergraduate course of study at an accredited two-year or four-year College or university in the fall. Applicants must have a minimum cumulative grade point average of 3.5 on a 4.0 scale, or the equivalent. Scholarship recipients are selected on the basis of academic record, demonstrated leadership and participation in school and community activities, honors, work experience, statement of goals and aspirations, unusual personal or family circumstances, and an outside appraisal. Financial need will also be considered. More information is available at sms.scholarshipamerica.org/militarycommanders.
- The Kaplan University/American Freedom Foundation Scholarship Program:
In thanks to our military families, The Kaplan University/American Freedom Foundation Scholarship Program sponsored by Kaplan University and American Freedom Foundation provides partial and full scholarship awards to assist spouses and dependent children of U.S. service personnel who choose to enroll in applicable Kaplan University online associate’s or bachelor’s degree programs. (Nursing candidates will require additional eligibility verification). To be eligible, applicants must have received their high school diploma by the application deadline. Current and prior Kaplan University students are not eligible. For more information, please visit https://www.scholarshipamerica.org/aff.
Paying for Education was written By: Chantelle Iris Nunoo.
Sources: Scholarship America and Scholarships for Development